Troubleshooting browser crashes or performance issues on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?
Troubleshooting browser crashes or performance issues on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
After a little more trial and error I've got a reasonably efficient fix for this. Running the following in Powershell (run as admin) fixes the issue for all users of a PC rather than just the current user.
Remove-Item "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Sync Data\LevelDB\000005.ldb" -Force
The next logical step would be to deploy this over group policy but we only have around 100 PCs and this takes seconds to apply to each PC so I don't think it's worth messing around with execution policies to get this to run automatically for me.
I just hope it's a permanent fix. If it reoccurs on a "fixed" PC I'll need to look into automating it.
Edit: After applying this to 30 PCs it has fixed it for the vast majority of users but I just had a call from another user with the issue persisting even with no ".ldb" files in the LevelDB folder. For this user renaming the LevelDB folder itself fixed it so it might make sense to delete the whole LEvelDB folder rather than just the 00005.ldb file. I just don't want to delete people's settings if I can avoid it.
I'm hoping someone from MS sees this since surely we've narrowed it down enough for them to come up with a fix!
After some trial and error I found the culprit folder to be:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Sync Data
Renaming this fixes the issue without having to delete the whole Edge folder.
(I didn't bother drilling down further to work out which specific file is the culprit. But might do that next time it comes up.)
(If the profile is set to roam Edge settings it will be the same path but replace "Local" with "Roaming".)
Edit: After further testing I've found in the following folder:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Sync Data\LevelDB
Are several "Microsoft Access Record-Locking Information" files. Deleting or renaming any one of these fixes the problem immediately.
Now I just need to find a way to automatically delete these files from every profile of every PC! So far there has always been one named 00005 so I might focus on trying to delete that with a batch file.
I will get back to you Mit....
I MIGHT have fixed it. I went to Settings, Start, Home and new tabs and turned off the preload newtabs so stop Edge from loading what it thinks the new tab should be. So far, it might be OK.
Whenever I went to a site, and clicked an option, one of those new windows would pop up.
I'll let you know in a few days if it is still doing it.
John K.
I haven't seen anything like this. But I am not sure I understand what menu items you are talking about. do you mean favorites or maybe the dropdown menu from the 3 dots at the top right on Edge itsself or tabs you may have open??.