Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-10T23:57:50+00:00

    Have you tried Edge Canary? I see a very noticeable improvement in performance and battery consumption.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-15T11:18:31+00:00

    I suspect that a good deal of the battery drain may be due to the huge amount of cpu involved with the scheduling of a many,many,many threaded app that (due to Android design) is not permitted to exit (releasing resources) the way it would be able to on a normal OS (such as Linux or even Windows), and perhaps worse, the app's fallure to respond to depressing the "kill tab"  "x"  at the right edge of a tab's label, a failure which in turn prevents release of the schedulable threads corresponding to each of the unwanted tabs that remain. As long as they can't be released,  CPU is wasted determining all of their scheduling priorities and related underlying functions, not to mention the CPU expended when they actually need and are given given time slices for running.

    Android needs, but does not provide, a means for the user to say "I don't want any of the threads associated with an app to be considered for scheduling".  Most systems do this by actually allowing a process to exit when the user says "you're done; quit" via some mechanism available to the user, often just a "quit" menu entry.  But with Android, even if an app provides such a menu item, it turns out to do nothing other than obscure the user's view of the app, and is otherwise non-functional when invoked! Only a "Stop app" function that warns of "causing errors" can actually remove it from scheduling.  This is the strongest hint that the app and its threads actually comprise a subroutine (or worse, a discrete coroutine) of a process unrelated to the functionality of the app itself.

    Please lobby the Android Developers as follows:  "If you really want an app to stick around when not being used, provide an "opt-in" capability to allow it, but make the default be not to stick around when the user doesn't need it to.  Instead of all apps being effectively subroutines of a single piece of code (which is what they now appear to behave as), perhaps you could replace it with two pieces of code, one for those you wish to always remain in virtual memory and thus be more quickly schedulable (if that's the purpose of such a design), and one from which to run apps that don't want or need that (and thus can be permitted to exit), but which need to be be more robust (such as Edge)."

    That would be much better than continuing to accumulate resources until so little is left that some app must be killed and restarted, resulting in data the user had entered (sometimes over a lengthy period of time) being discarded in the process and having to be re-entered.  At least their notebook app appears to be checkpointed, so that one can periodically save a message such as this one there, during its composition, reliably enough that one's typing doesn't need to be re-entered all over again before being complete and ready for submission.

    ( I truly hate it when a browser, such as Edge, is the app that ends up being killed and restarted for that purpose, and a message or tweet, or whatever must be retyped from scratch)

    Microsoft: 

    1. Could you fix the difficulty in getting rid of CPU-eating tabs that aren't needed, even without the control character workaround usable by those with keyboards attached?
    2. Could you add a limited editing ability that allows removal of entries within the middle of a tab's own history list?
    3. Could you automatically and frequently checkpoint what one types into Edge so that when Android kills and restarts it, one does not lose much, so that one needn't manually use another app, such as notepad, to checkpoint one's text entry by hand? (At least until Android Developers fix what affects their CPU scheduling as suggested above) (if ever).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-15T11:40:12+00:00

    I've contacted them loads of times including here but not one response because MS aren't interested in the Android version and I don't know any other Android browser that drains the battery like Edge

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-30T21:39:57+00:00

    I suspect that a good deal of the battery drain may be due to the huge amount of cpu involved with the scheduling of a many,many,many threaded app that (due to Android design) is not permitted to exit (releasing resources) the way it would be able to on a normal OS (such as Linux or even Windows), and perhaps worse, the app's fallure to respond to depressing the "kill tab"  "x"  at the right edge of a tab's label, a failure which in turn prevents release of the schedulable threads corresponding to each of the unwanted tabs that remain. As long as they can't be released,  CPU is wasted determining all of their scheduling priorities and related underlying functions, not to mention the CPU expended when they actually need and are given given time slices for running.

    Android needs, but does not provide, a means for the user to say "I don't want any of the threads associated with an app to be considered for scheduling".  Most systems do this by actually allowing a process to exit when the user says "you're done; quit" via some mechanism available to the user, often just a "quit" menu entry.  But with Android, even if an app provides such a menu item, it turns out to do nothing other than obscure the user's view of the app, and is otherwise non-functional when invoked! Only a "Stop app" function that warns of "causing errors" can actually remove it from scheduling.  This is the strongest hint that the app and its threads actually comprise a subroutine (or worse, a discrete coroutine) of a process unrelated to the functionality of the app itself.

                        

    Please lobby the Android Developers as follows:  "If you really want an app to stick around when not being used, provide an "opt-in" capability to allow it, but make the default be not to stick around when the user doesn't need it to.  Instead of all apps being effectively subroutines of a single piece of code (which is what they now appear to behave as), perhaps you could replace it with two pieces of code, one for those you wish to always remain in virtual memory and thus be more quickly schedulable (if that's the purpose of such a design), and one from which to run apps that don't want or need that (and thus can be permitted to exit), but which need to be be more robust (such as Edge)."

    That would be much better than continuing to accumulate resources until so little is left that some app must be killed and restarted, resulting in data the user had entered (sometimes over a lengthy period of time) being discarded in the process and having to be re-entered.  At least their notebook app appears to be checkpointed, so that one can periodically save a message such as this one there, during its composition, reliably enough that one's typing doesn't need to be re-entered all over again before being complete and ready for submission.

    ( I truly hate it when a browser, such as Edge, is the app that ends up being killed and restarted for that purpose, and a message or tweet, or whatever must be retyped from scratch)

    Microsoft: 

    1. Could you fix the difficulty in getting rid of CPU-eating tabs that aren't needed, even without the control character workaround usable by those with keyboards attached?
    2. Could you add a limited editing ability that allows removal of entries within the middle of a tab's own history list?
    3. Could you automatically and frequently checkpoint what one types into Edge so that when Android kills and restarts it, one does not lose much, so that one needn't manually use another app, such as notepad, to checkpoint one's text entry by hand? (At least until Android Developers fix what affects their CPU scheduling as suggested above) (if ever).

    Sorry, but I disagree with you. As I understand, you tell about background CPU usage. Good written apps don't drain battery on background. Microsoft developers don't care about Android users because all Microsoft apps are terrible if speak about battery usage. Outlook, Teams, Edge - they can kill 4000mah battry just in few hours. Chrome has x2.5 lower battery usage than latest Edge Canary. Microsoft just doesn't profile their apps. Also maybe they use some frameworks like React Native or Xamarin or smth else and this is additional and, almost always, uncontrolled layer in your app. So from my point of view the main problem not inside Android, but inside minds of Microsoft developers and managers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-31T11:40:19+00:00

    Have you tried Edge Canary? I see a very noticeable improvement in performance and battery consumption.

    I tried Edge Canary and it worked well for a few weeks, then after an update it started draining my battery just like Edge & Chrome.

    Best browser I have found to help with battery drain is VIA Browser.

    Also, I did find Google Services putting drain on battery (may be tied to browser drain?).

    I did a Data Clear on my Google Services to reset it and that has helped.

    Moto Z4 with Android 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments