Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T14:11:46+00:00

    Yes, I've done this since a long time. It's sad because I'd like to use Edge for its own strengths, but it's such a problem for my mobile's battery capacity that I just can't...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T16:36:34+00:00

    Exactly the same experience here on a S21 Ultra. Quite disappointing because I love Edge on PC and the seamless syncing and everything. I finally gave up Chrome after over a decade, but, this battery drain issue with Edge Android is making me want to move back to Chrome. 1% per minute of battery drain while just reading an article on Edge is just madness.

    Microsoft, you need to fix this right away. Please!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-02T08:29:40+00:00

    Same here. I've started to use Edge just a couple of days ago. And there was the power drain! Sad to say, but unless this issue is fixed, it's no Edge for me.

    Power usage Chrome 5-10 %

    Power usage Edge 50-60 %

    Please MS, fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-05T03:44:36+00:00

    Same here, recently bought an S21+. During browsing the phone gets ridiculously hot and the battery drains. I can play a game for two hours with the same amount of drain that takes 15 mins with simple browsing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-05T20:55:57+00:00

    Well, I've tried the newest update that has been released on March 3. It's looks like that the issue has been fixed a little bit. It still uses more than Chrome..

    Now I'm going to test Edge the next couple of days to see if the issue is truly gone.

    I really hope so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments