Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T14:11:46+00:00

    Yes, I've done this since a long time. It's sad because I'd like to use Edge for its own strengths, but it's such a problem for my mobile's battery capacity that I just can't...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T13:30:31+00:00

    Now moved to the vivaldi browser for Windows and Android as Microsoft clearly aren't going to fix this drainage issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-11T10:50:52+00:00

    'Edge is draining the battery' Is the message Android keeps giving me and Microsoft have done nothing to fix this in fact the support email given on the Google Play Store doesn't even work so don't expert any support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-07T17:18:19+00:00

    Edge is draining 35% of battery while being used for 50 minutes for simple browsing. That's way too much.

    Feels like the battery Drainage increased tremendously after activating the sync between my devices

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-05T15:57:01+00:00

    I Confirm. It drain 1% every minute that I'm using it. It's impossible to use it on Android 11. Uninstalled and trying Vivaldi that is really useful and doesn't have battery drain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments