Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T11:04:56+00:00

    Same problem here. Fix please!

    Phone: S20+

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-12T17:23:15+00:00

    Really absurd battery drain after April 2021 update. Please solve it ASAP. It's impossible to use it during the day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-30T01:34:50+00:00

    I have the same problem on my Google Pixel 4a. 47 minutes of use and 25% drained, absolutely obscene. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-22T13:41:50+00:00

    March 22, 2021, Still Happening! Running on Motorola Z4 all latest updates... Had to stop using Edge and started using FireFox, now battery last all day+. again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T19:30:46+00:00

    Moved to Edge not so long ago on PC (works like a charm). But mobile version of Edge is affecting the battery so much. Huawei P30 Pro, Android 10, EMUI 11.

    So if you are forgetting to close Edge, it will eat your batter in the background. Before Edge I was charging my phone every 30-35 hours. But with Edge my battery stands maximum for 24 hours.

    Latest updates did not fix the issue. I also tried to report the issue from the app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments