Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-10T23:57:50+00:00

    Have you tried Edge Canary? I see a very noticeable improvement in performance and battery consumption.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-10T18:09:21+00:00

    This really needs to be fixed fast. I've recently switched to Edge and I love it. However, on my Android (Samsung S8) phone it drains my battery extremely fast. When (actively) using Edge I lose 1% of battery almost every minute. After using Edge for about 45 minutes I've lost 33% of my battery. I really don't want to go back to Chrome, but this problem is making Edge almost unusable, and I'm not even using my phone that much because I'm home all the time. Please make this your number one priority.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T18:40:14+00:00

    I don't know about tje CPU usage, but, when using Edge, I could cook scrambled eggs on it as it become hotter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T18:17:39+00:00

    Just want to thrown in my experience. One Plus Nord (Snapdragon 765G), Android 11, Edge 46.03.4.5155

    If I open Edge, even a single tab just displaying a Google search result the CPU load jumps to over 170% and stays there for as longs as Edge is running. This is causing a high battery drain and the phone gets hot (>40 C).

    Running top via adb shows that even if I minimize Edge the 170% CPU load continues. Only way to stop it is to terminate the edge process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T13:31:34+00:00

    Same problem here on my Galaxy S10+. Edge has cool features but this is unacceptable. I'm not using until it gets fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments