Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-20T18:20:02+00:00

    Well, I guess this problem of heating was finaly solved in this new version 93.0.961.53

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-20T08:27:03+00:00

    Same problem here. Moto One Vision.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-16T07:42:15+00:00

    I have the same issue. My S20Ultra is getting hot in seconds using chrome edge on android 11. I can watch how the battery drains percent for percent. If I switch the sync off, it drains much less battery.

    But I don't want to miss the sync-function. Please fix it @microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-21T12:57:13+00:00

    Adding myself here to subscribe. I like Edge but the battery drain is just untenable. Today Edge has been used for 30 minutes and drained 24% of my battery. This is not uncommon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T03:53:08+00:00

    Same problem here. I had to go back to Chrome because the overheating and battery drain is ridiculous. It's a shame because I really like Edge and it's all I use everywhere else. What's even sadder is that this seems to be a long going issue that the devs can't seem to figure out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments