Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When copying and pasting URLs from Microsoft Edge, the URL will now be pasted in a friendly, readable link format by default. The link uses the page title as the link text and uses the full URL you copied as the link’s destination. We believe this makes the URLs you share easier to read, understand, and find again later.
If on occasion you would like to paste the full, plain text URL, that is still available. Right-click where you would like to paste and in the new Paste as menu, select Plain text. Alternatively you can use the shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+V.
If you would rather change the default URL copy and paste format back to plain text, you can do that as well. Visit the Share, copy & paste page in Microsoft Edge settings (you can get there easily by typing edge://Settings/ShareCopyPaste in the address bar) and select the Plain text option.
Finally, we’d love to hear from you! Here are some questions about this feature we’d love for you to answer:
Thank you!
The Microsoft Edge team
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Plain text looks more professional, easier to use and more transparent in my opinion. Thank you for having a way to change back for those that might agree with me.
Does anyone know how to leverage the new links in javascript? We want to create a copy to clipboard that can create a friendly url.
I find this feature very unhelpful because most of the time at work I need to paste and see specific links into chats and being able to discuss specific features in the web address or explaining details about the website to other team members is important.
By automatically converting links into a "pretty" format it's disruptive and frustrating for me.
Whenever you add new "features" please also add a button in SETTINGS to the TURN OFF the new "Feature".
I would really appreciate if a button can be added into Settings to turn this feature off. Personally I don't see any benefit to using it and I want it off permanently.
This feature has been very helpful!
Just curious, is the text in the hyperlink customizable? For example, I noticed sometimes when I copy links from "dashboard" page, all of the sub pages will have the same "dashboard" text in the link. I'd like to parse the webpage or the plain text link, and add more info to the hyperlink. Is there a way to achieve this?
thanks!
I don't get the "paste-as" item on the right click, and Ctrl-Shift V gives me nothing.
It may not be clear from the original post, but this feature refers only to copying the URL of a page from the address bar. For example, this page's URL is
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/introducing-link-format-a-new-copy-and-paste/694e7e5c-5807-490c-907a-1cd0ab6a8cac
which can also be pasted as Introducing link format, a new copy and paste feature in Microsoft - Microsoft CommunityIf this isn't working for you, something's wrong, but perhaps with the email client you're using. Which is it?
Who knows? I’m too busy/distracted/stupid to get wrapped around the axle how to deal with stupid “improvements” imposed by people who are paid good money to NOT to subject their clients to.
It worked before; it doesn’t now. Tell you anything?