Introducing link format, a new copy and paste feature in Microsoft Edge!

Anonymous
2020-12-16T23:56:51+00:00

When copying and pasting URLs from Microsoft Edge, the URL will now be pasted in a friendly, readable link format by default. The link uses the page title as the link text and uses the full URL you copied as the link’s destination. We believe this makes the URLs you share easier to read, understand, and find again later.

If on occasion you would like to paste the full, plain text URL, that is still available. Right-click where you would like to paste and in the new Paste as menu, select Plain text. Alternatively you can use the shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+V.

If you would rather change the default URL copy and paste format back to plain text, you can do that as well. Visit the Share, copy & paste page in Microsoft Edge settings (you can get there easily by typing edge://Settings/ShareCopyPaste in the address bar) and select the Plain text option.

Finally, we’d love to hear from you! Here are some questions about this feature we’d love for you to answer:

  1. Do you find the friendly link format helpful?
  2. Is the ability to occasionally paste the full, plain text URL a good solution for you?
  3. Do you prefer the full, plain text URL format when you copy and paste all the time?
  4. If you prefer the full, plain text URL format, were you able to find the settings to change the default without the assistance of this or other articles?
  5. Do you have any other feedback about this feature you’d like to share with us?

Thank you!

The Microsoft Edge team

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-14T15:18:25+00:00

    Personally I find this feature very challenging and not helpful. 

    I'm in Communications and manage our company's internal newsletter. We have a branded template we use to send the newsletter and this new Link Format makes formatting the newsletter quite challenging.

    When I try to hyperlink to a PDF, for example, a little graphic icon of a PDF is automatically inserted, and the link shows a light grey highlight. I can manually delete the icon and change the color of the hyperlinked text, but it's next to impossible to remove the grey highlight. And even when I do manage to change it, once the email is sent, the text usually reverts back to bright blue with the grey format. 

    I can see how these changes would benefit some people, but I know it's causing headaches for many business professionals and I do not see a 'paste as' option in Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-12T16:36:47+00:00
    1. No. I needed the direct URLs for a formal paper and this has caused me much trouble - had to hand-copy long URLs.
    2. Now that I FINALLY found this info, yes.
    3. Yes, because the reader will recognize it for what it is.
    4. NO - tried all kinds of combinations and could not quite make it work until this document described a subtle thing I had not guessed..
    5. Do not make it the default. While this can be a nice new option I had some urgent work to get done and was extremely angry about this, most angry ever been at Microsoft - and I'm generally pretty pleased with Microsoft stuff, even the new Edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-19T14:39:09+00:00

    HTML's ability to hide links under arbitrary text is a regularly-exploited risk, especially when the covering text looks like a URL. This feature encourages hi-risk URLs to use spoofy titles, so Edge would automatically create misleading links when Pasted. So; (1) Yes, and...

    (2) Yes; a lot depends on the behavior of the Paste target. Ideally, there should be hover-over actual-URL pop-up text, and/or warning where the nature of URL vs. text suggests attempts to exploit the user. This could be API'd out for Defender and other security suites to hook for risk assessment and user alert.

    But as it is, current behavior is too undefined - e.g. when pasting links back into Edge, testing shows the result may be not the original link, but a search result based on the visible text. This may break the links in the paste target, if the breakage is "on the way in" rather than "on the way out"; either way, just adds an extra layer of flakiness... for now, feature seems "alpha" in real-world usability.

    This feature widens the safety gap, i.e. skills needed to operate the system, and the additional skills needed to operate the system safely. As such, I'd disable it as an extra unwanted risk.

    1. Do you prefer the full, plain text URL format when you copy and paste all the time?
    2. Do you have any other feedback about this feature you’d like to share with us?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-29T08:18:00+00:00
    1. Do you find the friendly link format helpful?
      1. No
    2. Is the ability to occasionally paste the full, plain text URL a good solution for you?
      1. I generally only ever want the URL plain text. It's bad enough that formatting gets pasted from some applications when copying and pasting. I generally have notepad++ open so I can copy into there as an intermediary to stop things getting screwed up when copying and pasting.
    3. Do you prefer the full, plain text URL format when you copy and paste all the time?
      1. Yes
    4. If you prefer the full, plain text URL format, were you able to find the settings to change the default without the assistance of this or other articles?
      1. No. It took me a while to notice that it was only when copying and pasting from Edge so when things suddenly changed, it's hard to search for something when you don't know what it is called. After a short while I noticed is was only Edge copying and pasting and not the other browsers so then I could start searching and then I found this article which told me how I could turn it off.
    5. Do you have any other feedback about this feature you’d like to share with us?
      1. New features and changes are good but when you suddenly get them foisted on you without any notification or any indication that it has been done and then you have to waste time trying to either control the change, or undo it, or at worst in some cases waste loads of time trying to go back to how it was only to find you're stuck with it and it's basically tough luck. That isn't good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-01-27T09:37:01+00:00
    1. Do you find the friendly link format helpful? No
    2. Is the ability to occasionally paste the full, plain text URL a good solution for you? When it works, which isn't always.
    3. Do you prefer the full, plain text URL format when you copy and paste all the time? Yes
    4. If you prefer the full, plain text URL format, were you able to find the settings to change the default without the assistance of this or other articles?No. For a long time I thought the problem was with Slack, which I was trying to paste the links into. It was only when I tried using Google Chrome instead that I realised the problem was Edge.
    5. Do you have any other feedback about this feature you’d like to share with us? When you introduce a feature like this, don't turn it on by default and/or have some sort of pop-up warning the user of the new behaviour the first time it applies (or could be applied).

    Also, the "page title" for many pages is not really all that helpful, especially as many sites use the same title for all their pages (e.g. Citrix sites) so there's no differentiation between links if you copy multiple links from a single site.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments