New Edge browser can't play videos

Anonymous
2020-02-26T10:39:00+00:00

I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.

However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!

I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.

Microsoft,

Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.

Regards,

Dave

Uodate: Jun 2020 

I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.

Microsoft Edge | Audio and video playback | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-11-02T07:31:26+00:00

    I just bought a new laptop which came with Edge installed and have the same problem.  Get message which says this browser does not support video playback.

    I’m having mobile trouble

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-28T23:54:33+00:00

    For me the problem was that I had set the Tracking Prevention setting to "Strict". Once I lowered this to "Balanced" I can run video.

    Videos worked after changing this in

    Settings

    Privacy, Search, and Services

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-07T22:19:51+00:00

    I have the same problem, cropped up recently, videos buffer but do not play, Bitchute and any sites with video are affected. Ready to move back to Chrome, please fix this ****.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-08T10:42:39+00:00

    None of the solutions worked for me. On Google Chrome no problem. But the comment about extensions made me think. While I don't use Google Chrome often, I have no extensions. But on Edge I had - amongst others - the extension "Disable HTML5 Autoplay". Turning this off solved my problems. And apparently it is possible to turn it off for specific websites.
    Very happy with you mentioning the word extension.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T21:28:44+00:00

    hi,

    im litterally having the same problem, i have completley resetted my whole computer to try to get it to work and still having the same issue? miscrosoft what do we do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments