New Edge browser can't play videos

Anonymous
2020-02-26T10:39:00+00:00

I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.

However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!

I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.

Microsoft,

Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.

Regards,

Dave

Uodate: Jun 2020 

I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.

Microsoft Edge | Audio and video playback | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T11:20:09+00:00

    I've tried all of the above several times, and still cannot view video on Netflix or AMazon Prime Video.  Youtube is fine, no issues.  I get the audio on all of them, but a black screen.  Oddly enough, you can hover over the timeline indicator and see the video in the small thumbs, but not on the main screen. I had to switch back to Chrome some time ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T11:28:05+00:00

    We would appreciate it, I'd like very much to use Edge, but not if I have to switch browsers just to play video....on Netflix & Prime.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T11:29:16+00:00

    Correction:  Youtube works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T21:03:51+00:00

    Cheers Toby - I didn't know about this setting but when I looked, it was set to balanced anyway. I'll keep looking. It's a shame Microsoft have left such an important part of web browsing to be so complicated. It just pushes users to Chrome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T22:05:20+00:00

    FIOS tv gives error message when I click 'watch' on any movie /news channel/weather...anything......error message is ' DRM: no license server URL specified!'. FIOS tv works ok on chrome and Firefox but not on Edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments