Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.
However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!
I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.
Microsoft,
Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.
Regards,
Dave
Uodate: Jun 2020
I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.
Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have the same issued and tried all the suggested fixes. Occasionally it will start playing a movie, like on Netflix, but if I pause it for any reason, then continue to play, the screen goes black with audio only. I finally had to just use other browsers to watch Amazon, Netflix, Youtube etc.
Not acceptable Microsoft - guys don;t muck around, just switch to a better browser.
Thank you all for your suggestions. Nothing had worked and I'd just stopped using Edge for video playback till a couple of days ago. I gave it another try and it all works!
I haven't changed any settings on my PC or Edge. The only thing that's changed that I can think of is I keep all my apps and drivers up to date - so something to do with that might be the answer.
In short - Edge now plays all content from Netflix, Amazon and YouTube etc. If I find out what changed, I will post it here.
Thanks again for all help offered.
Try going into Settings and Site Permissions. From the sub-menu on the right, select Insecure Content. In the Allow section, click the box marked Add and type in the URL of the site you are having problems with. Click Add again and see if the video now plays. If it does, then you will have to repeat the process for each site you want 'unlocking'.
I just bought a new laptop which came with Edge installed and have the same problem. Get message which says this browser does not support video playback.