Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.
However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!
I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.
Microsoft,
Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.
Regards,
Dave
Uodate: Jun 2020
I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.
Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
We would appreciate it, I'd like very much to use Edge, but not if I have to switch browsers just to play video....on Netflix & Prime.
I've tried all of the above several times, and still cannot view video on Netflix or AMazon Prime Video. Youtube is fine, no issues. I get the audio on all of them, but a black screen. Oddly enough, you can hover over the timeline indicator and see the video in the small thumbs, but not on the main screen. I had to switch back to Chrome some time ago.
The following steps fix my Netflix problem even it is not perfect.
Go to Settings/System and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" and click "restart" (the edge browser).
Netflix video play should work after this change.
Tracking prevention? Never seen that, I'll have to look for it.
I figured this out. For me the problem was that I had set the Tracking Prevention setting to "Strict". Once I lowered this to "Balanced" I can run video.