Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.
However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!
I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.
Microsoft,
Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.
Regards,
Dave
Uodate: Jun 2020
I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.
Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
The following steps fix my Netflix problem even it is not perfect.
Go to Settings/System and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" and click "restart" (the edge browser).
Netflix video play should work after this change.
I had tried that before, and it didn't work. Did this time, hope it sticks. Thanks.
This worked for me.
Amending Tracking Prevention to "Balanced" didn't do anything, nor did cleaning the cache or browsing history, but this did :)
The following steps fix my Netflix problem even it is not perfect.
Go to Settings/System and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" and click "restart" (the edge browser).
Netflix video play should work after this change.
I had tried that before, and it didn't work. Did this time, hope it sticks. Thanks.
FIOS tv gives error message when I click 'watch' on any movie /news channel/weather...anything......error message is ' DRM: no license server URL specified!'. FIOS tv works ok on chrome and Firefox but not on Edge.
Cheers Toby - I didn't know about this setting but when I looked, it was set to balanced anyway. I'll keep looking. It's a shame Microsoft have left such an important part of web browsing to be so complicated. It just pushes users to Chrome.
Correction: Youtube works fine.