New Edge browser can't play videos

Anonymous
2020-02-26T10:39:00+00:00

I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.

However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!

I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.

Microsoft,

Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.

Regards,

Dave

Uodate: Jun 2020 

I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.

Microsoft Edge | Audio and video playback | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-03T03:49:27+00:00

    The wierd thing is that edge on my laptop works fine. Same version. Both dell machines. There must be something on my desktop that is causing the problems on edge. All other videos work fine. Its just hbomax that is the problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-03T03:37:09+00:00

    Hey Jack Littley, I just figured out the issue with playing anything having to do with Amazon video. Then again it could be a coincident but I think not, early in January Adobe Flash player was turned off and we where to uninstall it or when browsers update it would be removed. Seems that all happened to Edge because when I go to Chrome all video's play. Oh well luckily there are options for I don't care to use Chrome for videos and don't have to watch "Prime" on Edge or anywhere else. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-13T00:32:03+00:00

    mine was working fine three days ago. the next day when I brought it up, I had no sound. the next time I brought it up I got the Cant Play this Title Message. It hasn't worked for three days. Really troubling.

    HBOMax works fine on Firefox and Safari. i hate to have to change browsers  for different sites. this is a pain

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-13T00:29:19+00:00

    does not work Still get message Cant Play this Title, try again later.

    HBO max works fine on Firefox, Safari and Roku. Edge is the only one that has a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more