New Edge browser can't play videos

Anonymous
2020-02-26T10:39:00+00:00

I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.

However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!

I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.

Microsoft,

Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.

Regards,

Dave

Uodate: Jun 2020 

I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.

Microsoft Edge | Audio and video playback | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-20T09:48:48+00:00

    The solution 1 and 2 not work for me.

    The 3rd solution work fine for me. I had try for a long time and just solve the problem from this reply.

    Thanks for your kindly helpful

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T19:04:00+00:00

    You’re welcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T17:01:52+00:00

    Thank you, that was the whole problem trying to watch videos on NFL.com and some official sports sites like Atlantafalcons.com.

    Fixed all my issues, thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-15T17:40:45+00:00

    Hey Chris, I finally got Edge to play everything. I am not sure exactly what fix did it but there where only a a couple of things I did. I reset my desktop to a earlier time and re installed the latest updates. By now you probably figured it out (I still kept Chrome on my PC just in case).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-15T12:55:24+00:00

    This problem has started on my pc (not my newer laptop) in just the last few days- I've tried all the recommendations listed above and nothing has solved it. Videos generally do not play or take several seconds to a minute to finally play. Same issue with youtube, vimeo, facebook, miscellaneous websites... 
    All work on Chrome but not edge

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments