Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.
However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!
I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.
Microsoft,
Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.
Regards,
Dave
Uodate: Jun 2020
I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.
Managing media playback issues and settings in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thank you! Method 3 worked for my laptop....finally!
Method 3: Disable Hardware Acceleration
Open Microsoft Edge, click on Ellipses(…), select Settings >System>Turn off “Use hardware acceleration when available”
The thing that really confuses me is that my lapyop, which has pretty much the same software, works fine. Same version of edge on the laptop has no problem playing Hbomax.
both machines play netflix, hulu and amazon prime videos just fine.
really weird
my problem with the new edge and chrome browser upgrades is certain videos would not play...just audio with bright green screen. In particular this occured with nest and arlo camera feeds and web portal video clips on news sites. This was easily fixed by going into both browser settings\system\ and then toggling off the option for (Use hardware acceleration when available). This condition occurred on my PCs that had an intel hd graphics 530 or 520 video card. The other PCs with NVIdia graphics did not have the problem.
The thing that really confuses me is that my lapyop, which has pretty much the same software, works fine. Same version of edge on the laptop has no problem playing Hbomax.
both machines play netflix, hulu and amazon prime videos just fine.
really weird
I am having the same issue with HBOMAX on EDGE
"Can't Play Title. We're having trouble playing this video. Pease try again later."
Also, I am unsure if related, when I try to watch Live Fios TV on EDGE I get
"Unknown Error!
DRM: No license server URL specified!
**ID:**000-000"
Chrome works fine.
I had an issue earlier with CNN and other videos which was corrected by disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available"
I uninstalled Abobe Flash extensions since they were no longer supported. But there was another Flash application which I uninstalled. I wonder if it was that?
Anyway, I hope someone comes up with a fix.
The wierd thing is that edge on my laptop works fine. Same version. Both dell machines. There must be something on my desktop that is causing the problems on edge. All other videos work fine. Its just hbomax that is the problem