New Edge browser can't play videos

Anonymous
2020-02-26T10:39:00+00:00

I downloaded and set up the new Microsoft Edge browser this morning. I meticulously went through all the settings, ensuring i have it set up the same as what was currently in Edge - no issues there.

However, on clicking the shortcuts saved in Edge to go to my various content sites, I realised none of them can play video content. I have favourites saved for: YouTube, Amazon Instant Video (Prime Video), Netflix, BBC, PinkBike (videos embedded from YouTube normally). BBC videos play, but have no sound. None of the others work at all - they all come up with their own error codes!

I haven't changed anything on my PC. I was watching Netflix, saw the recommendation for 'New Edge', paused my video and installed it. When i went to re-open Netflix and continue, that's when I first realised there was an issue. I tried testing the issue in the Android app, but Edge opens the appropriate app rather than running it it's browser - so I can't yet comment on the Android app version of 'new' Edge.

Microsoft,

Please have a look at this soon. Do you have any settings somewhere that I have missed? I came to Edge from Chrome, as you have made some great improvements. I will have to go back if i can't play video though.

Regards,

Dave

Uodate: Jun 2020 

I gave edge another try a couple of months ago and I can now watch everything from YouTube content, Netflix and amazon video. I haven't changed any settings, it just works now. Edge has been updated a couple of times and I wonder if there is anything that was included to fix this issue. Not sure, but it works now, so I'll be using it as a browser again.

Microsoft Edge | Audio and video playback | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T01:41:12+00:00

    Not acceptable Microsoft - guys don;t muck around, just switch to a better browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-27T10:22:37+00:00

    Hi, 

    Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

    We understand your concern as you are having difficulties in watching the videos on the new Edge Chromium browsers from multiple websites. We would like to know the exact error you are getting for the corresponding websites.

    In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check.

    Method 1: Clear Browsing Data. I would suggest you to Clear browsing history and cached data.

    Open Microsoft Edge, click on Ellipses(…), select Settings > History > Clear browsing data. Select All time under Time range; select Browsing history and Cached images and files, and then select Clear now. Once done, restart Microsoft Edge and try accessing the website. 


    As you have mentioned that you are having the issue on YouTube videos, please perform method 2.

    Method 2: Check Adobe Flash settings in Edge Based on your description, I assume that you have already turned off Ads settings in Edge. You may also want to check the permissions for Adobe Flash.

    Open Microsoft Edge, click on Ellipses(…), select Settings >Site Permissions>Adobe Flash>Enable the settings and Allow CBS.com website.


    Method 3: Disable Hardware Acceleration

    Open Microsoft Edge, click on Ellipses(…), select Settings >System>Turn off “Use hardware acceleration when available”

    Regards,

    Aditya Roy

    Microsoft Community – Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-04T20:50:08+00:00

    I figured this out. For me the problem was that I had set the Tracking Prevention setting to "Strict". Once I lowered this to "Balanced" I can run video.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T05:49:35+00:00

    The following steps fix my Netflix problem even it is not perfect.

    Go to Settings/System and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" and click "restart" (the edge browser).

    Netflix video play should work after this change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-04T14:37:18+00:00

    I just bought a new laptop which came with Edge installed and have the same problem.  Get message which says this browser does not support video playback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments