Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
How do I get Edge to open 'google.com' in a NEW TAB. IE, several versions ago, could do this, why do Microsoft's "improvements" not improve? And don't get me started on how poor I think Win 10 is. Full of stuff I don't want.
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Shed-Boy
like the old Edge the new edge chromium has very limited (built in) options for the new tab.
however there are extensions available that will allow you to change the URL of the new tab page.
this extension will set the new tab page to Google.com
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/deta...
this extension will allow you to change the new tab to any given URL
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/deta...
hope that helps, please let me know how you get on.
It would be great if Microsoft could install useful things like this right from the off rather than bloating all its programs and applications with stuff that does nothing for 99% of users and just slows down computers and uses up drive space and memory. But I guess we'll be banging our heads against a brick wall to get any sensible changes.
This helped, but I should add that when I tried to add the extension to set Google as my new tab page, Edge disabled the extension. I had to enable it manually. Then when I first tried to open a new tab, I got a "are you sure you want to do this?" popup.
Microsoft really, really, really wants to have control of your new tab page.
HEY MICROSOFT: REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NOT COOL.
The only reason why I chose Edge over Chrome is that it's less of a memory hog. One more b.s. move like this and I'm back to Chrome.
It doesn't work, changing the new tab request I mean. It doesn't open google without installing the extension I have now installed. It doesn't matter what changes I make in the new tab request, it refuses, without the extension, to open google.
When I open my car door when I get home to my house my car door opens. It always opens. And it always opens at my house. I don't find myself at anybody else's house. If I get a new car and open the door at my house, guess what, it always opens at my house. I don't have to reprogram the door handle or change my house.
FFS. What is so difficult about it for microsoft. Do they not have anybody working there with any programming experience or common sense? Oh sorry, I forgot, common sense is illegal these days. And as for experience. I suppose for equality these days you have to hire your quota of dullards.
Yes, honestly this really sadly seems to be typical Microsoft yet again unfortunately - forcing you to have to use their page and not giving you control of your own web browser. I also thought I'd give Edge a try again, coming back from Google Chrome, but this incredibly frustrating limitation has sent me straight back to Chrome.
People have been complaining about this since many years ago now when Edge first came out, and I find it very disappointing that Microsoft, once again, don't bother to listen to what their users want. Pretty arrogant.
If you are a Microsoft employee reading this PLEASE fight the case for common sense of giving your users what they actually want, instead of pissing them off by forcing them into limiting the way they can use their browser (which other browsers DON'T do). Because I'm pretty burnt on Microsoft products due to this now. If that mentality changes, and Microsoft start not trying to force their users to do what they don't want, then I'll consider trying it again! Please, post an update in this thread if that happens!