Managing profiles and sync in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi edge experts,
I use a MS account to sign into Microsoft products, but I use only in my laptop system. How to stop sync when not needed?
Thank you,
Nithin. R
Managing profiles and sync in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
true absolutely scumbag edge of scumbag microsoft
There is NO toggle to actualy stop syncing in Edge. You can select what to sync but that does not stop it.
To actualy turn off sync for a profile
1: Open MS Edge while you signed in with MS Account
2: Type to address bar without " marks: " edge://sync-internals "
3: Click on: " Disable Sync (Clear Server Data)"
4: Your profile will show "not syncing", means the deletion was successful. Log out of your profile and tick the box to delete everything, during the logout.
With this method, all bookmarks, history, passwords, extension etc. were deleted from the cloud and locally as well.
I presume that Clicking on: "Disable Sync (Clear Server Data)" cleared the server data, but Syncing still showed as "on" until I clicked on "Disable Sync (Clear Data)" just above.
Please explain how I add a new value SyncDisabled and what DWORD means. You would be kind to be a little more specific for an 81 years old who is somewhat illiterate when it comes to these expressions. I have managed to get to the end of #3 above but do not know what to do next.
Thanks, Suzanne
That involves editing the registry. If you're not familiar with that, you probably should not attempt it.
If you don't mind spending the time to learn, then read up about the Windows registry. Otherwise, it's best to leave it alone.
nothing works it just continues to do it.