How to stop sync in edge?

Anonymous
2022-11-08T10:29:21+00:00

Hi edge experts,

I use a MS account to sign into Microsoft products, but I use only in my laptop system. How to stop sync when not needed?

Thank you,

Nithin. R

Microsoft Edge | Profile, sync, and sign in | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T23:34:19+00:00

    Please explain how I add a new value SyncDisabled and what DWORD means. You would be kind to be a little more specific for an 81 years old who is somewhat illiterate when it comes to these expressions. I have managed to get to the end of #3 above but do not know what to do next.

    Thanks, Suzanne

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T01:56:59+00:00

    There is NO toggle to actualy stop syncing in Edge. You can select what to sync but that does not stop it.

    To actualy turn off sync for a profile

    1: Open MS Edge while you signed in with MS Account

    2: Type to address bar without " marks: " edge://sync-internals "

    3: Click on: " Disable Sync (Clear Server Data)"

    4: Your profile will show "not syncing", means the deletion was successful. Log out of your profile and tick the box to delete everything, during the logout.

    With this method, all bookmarks, history, passwords, extension etc. were deleted from the cloud and locally as well.

    I presume that Clicking on: "Disable Sync (Clear Server Data)" cleared the server data, but Syncing still showed as "on" until I clicked on "Disable Sync (Clear Data)" just above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-24T20:49:07+00:00

    true absolutely scumbag edge of scumbag microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T00:53:19+00:00

    Excellent, I can confirm this still works right now. Although initially there is no "Edge" subkey under Microsoft, you can just create one.

    I don't use the Edge piece of sheet at all, but I just wanted to check the functionality of a problematic site that seemed to not be working fully in my usual 2 browsers. All of the sudden it started trying to sync and wouldn't stop prompting me to login to my MS account and I was like , <removed>

    But it wouldn't let me close the login prompt and wouldn't let me click anywhere else on the page. Edge is literally like a virus.

    <profanity removed>

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T09:09:27+00:00

    At october'23 I sign-out with delete everything from edge. Then again sign in and turn off quickly all enabled option from sync data of edge browser. Now I am in peace. 😊

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments