How to stop sync in edge?

Anonymous
2022-11-08T10:29:21+00:00

Hi edge experts,

I use a MS account to sign into Microsoft products, but I use only in my laptop system. How to stop sync when not needed?

Thank you,

Nithin. R

Microsoft Edge | Profile, sync, and sign in | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-17T00:48:06+00:00

    I have to 'sign-in' for Excel, Word, etc. to work because I have "Microsoft 365". That also signs Edge into the account and starts syncing my favorites without my knowledge.

    I only notice it when my favorites get all screwed up and either aren't sorted alphabetically anymore, or worse, old favorites I deleted reappear. So fed up with Microsoft trying to spy on me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-17T20:29:47+00:00

    For those who do not have a registry structure of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge, you will need to do the following:

    3. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

    3a. Right click on the Microsoft folder, a pop-up window appears.

    3b. Scroll down to the word "New", slide over to the word "Key" and left click on it.

    3c. This will create a new folder, which needs to be name "Edge".

    3d. Now follow the remaining instructions as Jacek Sandomierz has specified and it will work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-19T00:40:19+00:00

    Same here

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-28T05:23:42+00:00

    Nope... as of March 2023, editing the registry with the above instructions does not work. There is no "Edge" sub folder, at least in Win10 there isn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-24T19:14:14+00:00

    Yeah - total data theft. There is no warning they are going to steal data from your chrome browser. Nor is there any way to get it back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments