How to Stop Edge from Opening Automatically When I Boot Up Computer

Anonymous
2020-05-29T14:53:58+00:00

Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-11T10:01:19+00:00

    This started for me a couple of days ago - very annoying !

    I stopped it by disabling a couple of scheduled update tasks.

    1. Open Task Scheduler
    2. Click on the first Tab > Task Scheduler Library
    3. Disable MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore
    4. Disable MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA

    Reboot and hopefully the problem is stopped.

    Edge works normally but you will need to do a manual update every now and then. Or re-enable the tasks and reboot to get back to auto update but with a return of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-11T22:32:30+00:00

    Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?

    What worked for me <unacceptable content removed by moderator>

    The solution is this >> open IE or "Edge" as its known now.. go to settings >> System and performance >> disable Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed >> and Disable Use hardware acceleration when available just for the hell of it..

    This is what worked for me. obviously you know the common sense reasons for this like Edge being your default browser if that's the case switch it to Firefox or whatever you use but like you i knew my stuff was squared away so above is what did it for me i hope it does for you to..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-12T13:38:09+00:00

    Hi Drew - The Restart Apps setting was already toggled off. Edge still opens on startup! I never use Edge, so I can see why this recommendation did not work as all the other suggestions.

    • Default Brower = Chrome
    • Task Manager does not have Edge to disable
    • Restart Apps Toggle set to No

    Does anyone else have any new suggestions to correct this problem? It is extremely irritating that Edge launches on startup when I did not ask it to and seems to negate normal settings!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-12T13:50:45+00:00

    Thank YOU Jim!!! This WORKED!!! After I changed the settings above, and rebooted, NO EDGE on startup!!! WHOO HOO!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 I hope it sticks! Thanks again!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-01-12T13:57:43+00:00

    Hi Drew - The Restart Apps setting was already toggled off. Edge still opens on startup! I never use Edge, so I can see why this recommendation did not work as all the other suggestions.

    • Default Brower = Chrome
    • Task Manager does not have Edge to disable
    • Restart Apps Toggle set to No

    Does anyone else have any new suggestions to correct this problem? It is extremely irritating that Edge launches on startup when I did not ask it to and seems to negate normal settings!

    There is another thread on this subject with very useful info. Disabling the items suggested in the Task Scheduler ( not Task Manager) seems to be doing the trick - and 2close2theEdge has given a detailed explanation as to what the problem is and what caused it . Someone has also suggested it on this thread but don't know if you tried it. It's on PAGE 6 of the replies

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/msedge_open-msedge_win10/disable-microsoft-edge-from-opening-on-starting/3caf5497-61e1-4d41-b4a5-3acd03f5c380?from=mostrelevant&page=6

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments