Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?
Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Drew - The Restart Apps setting was already toggled off. Edge still opens on startup! I never use Edge, so I can see why this recommendation did not work as all the other suggestions.
- Default Brower = Chrome
- Task Manager does not have Edge to disable
- Restart Apps Toggle set to No
Does anyone else have any new suggestions to correct this problem? It is extremely irritating that Edge launches on startup when I did not ask it to and seems to negate normal settings!
There is another thread on this subject with very useful info. Disabling the items suggested in the Task Scheduler ( not Task Manager) seems to be doing the trick - and 2close2theEdge has given a detailed explanation as to what the problem is and what caused it . Someone has also suggested it on this thread but don't know if you tried it. It's on PAGE 6 of the replies
Thank YOU! I guess I should have read further! ;-) I found the Task Scheduler solution after I wrote this and it DID correct the issue... (Finally) Thank you for your time and the response--greatly appreciated!
Pardon me, but you are both wrong. (And you DO NOT want anything to do with IE❗) And stay out of the Registry❗
The following will solve your issue. Without silly talk of MS being criminal or lawsuits.
Edge is part of the OS, ergo, the default browser unless & until changed, in Settings.
- > Settings > Apps > Default apps. Scroll down to Web browser. Rt Clk & select the one wanted.
- > Settings > Apps > Startup. Find Microsoft Edge & put its toggle switch to OFF.
Cheers,
Drew Chrome was my default browser and 2) There is no Edge app in my startup. Yet STILL Edge opens on login.
HERE IS WHAT ACTUALLY WORKED FOR ME:
- Open Edge
- Go to Settings > System
- Toggle setting "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" OFF
Hope that helps someone else.
-Scott
THANK YOU SirisaacTech! This worked for me.
Changing the setting from Microsoft spotlight to picture stopped Edge from opening