How to Stop Edge from Opening Automatically When I Boot Up Computer

Anonymous
2020-05-29T14:53:58+00:00

Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Drew - 810 Reputation points
    2022-01-08T19:13:19+00:00

    Maybe you don't realize you don't own the OS, just a license allowing you to use it.

    Cheers,

    Drew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-08T12:42:19+00:00

    Thank you for this solution. Think I'm on board with the lawsuit suggested earlier. Stay out of my PC Microsoft. !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-31T11:09:36+00:00

    MS has no excuse for this obnoxious behavior.

    The solution is SIMPLE and effective!

    Keep MS Bing/Edge open as a minimized box out of the way.

    The Maximize/Restore Down toggle, can be kept in Restore Down and the corners carried to the minimum size - about 1" x 4". This amounts surrendering of a portion of the screen in exchange for not having to see ANY Bing/Edge noise pumped onto the page and not having to take the time or thought to close it. I don't even see it anymore, out of sight, out of mind, just a white rectangle in the corner.

    Let me know if this helps you. Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-30T12:08:53+00:00

    I worked on this problem for 3 days, then I read where some guy changed his computer settings and that worked. In the "wheel" settings, go to "default apps", then scroll down to "web browser", then choose "microsoft edge" as the default. It sounds counterintuitive to do this but I'm sure that's what worked for me. Then in your web page, go to settings (the 3 dots in the upper right corner), go to "Privacy, search, and services", scroll to the very bottom and select "address bar and search", then input your preferred search engine under search engied in the address bar, and also under the "manage search engine". Then go back (still in web page settings, and under "appearance" scroll down to "home button" and set your preferred home page to your choice. I made sure it was exactly what I want for my home page example: https://www.yahoo.com/.  Under "default browser (still in settings), I have Microsoft Edge for that. I'm not 100% sure this will work for you but making sure the "default app" settings to Microsoft Edge works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-29T07:01:21+00:00

    Dead right come on Microsoft not everyone wants edge,you might think it's the bees knees ,but a lot Don't and I am sick of having to close it every time I boot up. my laptop

    I did stop it on my PC but can't remember how.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments