Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?
Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I worked on this problem for 3 days, then I read where some guy changed his computer settings and that worked. In the "wheel" settings, go to "default apps", then scroll down to "web browser", then choose "microsoft edge" as the default. It sounds counterintuitive to do this but I'm sure that's what worked for me. Then in your web page, go to settings (the 3 dots in the upper right corner), go to "Privacy, search, and services", scroll to the very bottom and select "address bar and search", then input your preferred search engine under search engied in the address bar, and also under the "manage search engine". Then go back (still in web page settings, and under "appearance" scroll down to "home button" and set your preferred home page to your choice. I made sure it was exactly what I want for my home page example: https://www.yahoo.com/. Under "default browser (still in settings), I have Microsoft Edge for that. I'm not 100% sure this will work for you but making sure the "default app" settings to Microsoft Edge works for me.
Dead right come on Microsoft not everyone wants edge,you might think it's the bees knees ,but a lot Don't and I am sick of having to close it every time I boot up. my laptop
I did stop it on my PC but can't remember how.
Drew, you are misunderstanding everyone.
we are ALL telling you that WE HAVE CHROME SET AS OUR DEFAULT BROWSER, please understand that. i know a lot of ppl don't understand how computers work on the most basic level, but we do. we know how to set our default browsers.
despite this, EDGE still opens up all on its own. in front of google chrome. that is the issue people are having. all we have to do is close it, BUT it's annoying to us that it opens on its own. we do not want that to happen at all.
i hope this makes the issue clear for you, you can stop telling ppl to make chrome the default browser when we have done that and it does not change the issue of edge opening on its own.
this did not work for me as "restart apps" was not an option when i followed all these instructions.
Thank you Stacey