How to Stop Edge from Opening Automatically When I Boot Up Computer

Anonymous
2020-05-29T14:53:58+00:00

Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T00:53:14+00:00

    So, Edge is (still) opening by itself after a reboot?  

    Ok, please, look at this...  (no promises, but) In Edge > ellipsis > Settings > On Start-up & don't have it on, Continue where you left off.

    BTW, have seen something said to you earlier. You do not see other browsers available as the Default web browser unless they are installed.  Ergo to have Chrome or whichever other, listed, it would have to be downloaded & installed, already, 1st. And Internet Explorer will not be on that list, at all;  It is unsupported & obsolete.  Think of it this way... IE doesn't exist & carry on from there.

    But there is no need to switch to a lesser browser to address your issue.

    And I want to check a couple things for you, too...

    Cheers,
    DrewImage

    I'm sorry Drew, but just so there's no misunderstanding, my default browser is Google Chrome. 

    When I first startup, Microsoft Edge automatically opens. If I close that tab, Google Chrome opens. How do I make Google Chrome always open on initial startup?

    Be patient. When I was a kid they still used punch cards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Drew - 810 Reputation points
    2021-02-15T22:53:15+00:00

    So, Edge is (still) opening by itself after a reboot?  

    Ok, please, look at this...  (no promises, but) In Edge > ellipsis > Settings > On Start-up & don't have it on, Continue where you left off.

    BTW, have seen something said to you earlier. You do not see other browsers available as the Default web browser unless they are installed.  Ergo to have Chrome or whichever other, listed, it would have to be downloaded & installed, already, 1st. And Internet Explorer will not be on that list, at all;  It is unsupported & obsolete.  Think of it this way... IE doesn't exist & carry on from there.

    But there is no need to switch to a lesser browser to address your issue.

    And I want to check a couple things for you, too...

    Cheers,
    Drew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-15T21:19:16+00:00

    Here is the answer you seek:

    > (OS) Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options   Scroll down a bit to  Restart APPs and put its toggle to OFF.

    Cheers,
    DrewImage

    I did that Drew. The toggle was "off."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-15T20:36:02+00:00

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more