Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?
Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi, my name is Neil, I'm an independent adviser and a Windows 10 user like you.
Sorry you're having this issue with Edge.
I see others who have this same issue and I think the easiest way to solve it is to make Chrome or Internet Explorer the default web browser. Of course you can still click on Edge and use Edge as your main browser, but this should stop the automatic loading of edge when you boot into Windows 10.
To make Chrome your default browser, do the following:
Press your Windows Key + I to open Settings.
Click on Apps.
On the left hand side click on Default Apps.
Scroll down to Web browser and click on Microsoft Edge. Then click on either Chrome or Internet Explorer instead.
There are other methods of preventing Edge loading when you boot into Windows, but this depends on you having Windows 10 Pro and modifying the registry.
That's why changing the default browser is the easiest and safest method. On the next update for Edge this behaviour should hopefully stop and you can go back and make Edge your default browser again.
I hope this helps.
Hello,
Please go to your tskmanger and in startup apps. Please disable Edge.
Thank you