How to Stop Edge from Opening Automatically When I Boot Up Computer

Anonymous
2020-05-29T14:53:58+00:00

Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T12:28:39+00:00

    Hi, this does not work for me. I have Firefox as my default browser but it does not start until asked. Edge starts without permission every time I boot up.    Ivor

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T18:29:59+00:00

    I have the same problem and can not stop Edge from starting  automatically although my default browser is set to Chrome

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-13T23:05:51+00:00

    I have the same problem and can not stop Edge from starting  automatically although my default browser is set to Chrome 

    I have the same irritating problem. Although my default browser is Google Chrome, when I boot up, Microsoft Edge automatically shows up. If I close that tab, Google Chrome appears. How do I insure that Google Chrome is the browser that opens on initial start?

    I hope I put that simply enough. Does anyone have any idea?

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-14T19:00:24+00:00

    Hello,

    Please go to your tskmanger and in startup apps. Please disable Edge.

    In Task Manager I don't see "Startup Apps." I see Startup but nothing listed about Microsoft Edge. Under App History/Microsoft Edge, it's all zeroes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-23T03:59:48+00:00

    I tried them all - Registry edit, Group Policy Editor, emptying the package, etc. and was getting desperate. The one, and ONLY, solution that worked was as below:

    1. Right-click at an empty space on your desktop and select Personalize. ...
    2. In Personalization settings, select Lock Screen at the left and then at Background options, set one of the other choices (e.g. Picture or Slideshow) to disable the Windows Spotlight.

    Wow! Not sure what this has to do with Edge launching but I ain't going to investigate! LOL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments