Managing bookmarks, browsing history, and downloads in Edge on Windows 11
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?
when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.
Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?
ranting and raving done...
have a great day
Managing bookmarks, browsing history, and downloads in Edge on Windows 11
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello,
This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.
I also had this problem. I was starting to get used to Edge, but this ****-up is insane. Who's the dev that thinks enabling Chrome sync by default is a good feature? They should fire the whole team. This needs a class-action lawsuit.
Stealing bookmarks are intrusion of privacy when you are not asked first.
When you disable "auto stealing" in Edge, it's enabled again without permission on next start...
This is 100% illegal no matter how you look at it. It's forced intrusion and Microsoft refuse people to disable it.
Yes, it works but for only one time, after restarting PC the problem occurs again but the feature is still off.
Yes, I experienced the exact same thing. It still imported Chrome settings even though I explicitly set it not to. I ended up restoring from a backup I'd taken a week before and turning off Windows updates for the maximum allowable period.
I hope Microsoft acknowledges this "feature" as a problem and corrects it. Edge was becoming an excellent piece of work until this snafu.
Hello,
This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.
so, what you are telling us is that, BY DEFAULT, data will be imported no matter if we agree or not and without knowing that this needs to be disabled...
How do we know passwords are not compromised?
This is wrong!!
Tried to disable, but, surprise, Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off. doesn't exist anymore