Why did Microsoft Edge Import all my bookmarks from Chrome without asking?

Anonymous
2022-09-04T20:48:22+00:00

I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?

when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.

Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?

ranting and raving done...

have a great day

Microsoft Edge | Favorites, history, and downloads | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-07T16:30:57+00:00

Hello,

This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-27T17:50:06+00:00

    I doubt this is a bug. This is intentionally. Many people do not even notice that they are using Edge instead of Chrome. A lawsuit has to be brought against Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T18:27:18+00:00

    So the KICKER for me is I do have the path Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off, and IT IS OFF. However, no matter how many times I try and delete the bookmarks from Edge, they come right back.

    I removed the bookmarks four times before I got the alert about importing the data (I missed it the first time.) By clicking on the pop-up to manage settings, it took me to the import browser data from Google Chrome page and for whatever reason, it was ON. It had not been ON when I navigated there.

    So one way to turn this sucker off is to trigger that pop-up and click manage settings from the pop-up itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T04:01:17+00:00

    I use Chrome for my general browsing and Edge for college and study. Edge just imported my bookmarks from Chrome randomly, and I lost all my bookmarks for school.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-03T19:50:13+00:00

    I just want to leave my testimony here as to how unequivocally enfuriated I was, as this same non consensual abuse happened to me as well. Is unbelievable how this Non Human entities treat us, enforcing NULE respect for our individual rights and free will.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments