Managing bookmarks, browsing history, and downloads in Edge on Windows 11
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?
when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.
Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?
ranting and raving done...
have a great day
Managing bookmarks, browsing history, and downloads in Edge on Windows 11
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello,
This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.
I have never agreed for edge to do anything because I use each browser for different tasks as well, and today I opened Edge and got all my chrome stuff. I guess I was lucky I wasn't at a conference or something ffs.
And this happened after an update as well, I dunno which but I'm just about done with windows...
Thank you. I just got a new computer and I use different browsers for different accounts so when I logged on this morning and my edge websites were suddenly my chrome accounts instead that messed things up. Oddly I've been using things fine for a couple weeks now. So I guess it was an update that turned this feature on, which means future updates could do it again. This should stay ff by default after you select no during set up.
Same experience here. MS Edge imported all browsing history/bookmarks from chrome without my permission. This was a very invasive experience and will only dissuade me further from using this browser as a daily driver. Major anti-trust issues with this I sincerely hope MS smartens up on this front
Every few updates that Edge automatically installs, it chooses to not respect my preference in Settings -> Profiles -> Import browser data, "Edit preferences" one line down and beside "Import data from Chrome" where it has been TURNED OFF. So the option is a blue "Turn On" button normally!!! Until Edge decides to ignore it and turn it on and import my data from Chrome automatically. **** RIGHT OFF Microsoft Edge! my bookmarks are overwritten, passwords and everything else too... stupid trash version of a copy cat browser with a stupid sidebar and unnecessary Bing icon. My browsing history is a god damn mess now, I don't know how it chose to add extensions but I didn't want any of them in Edge and it didn't add all of them from Chrome neither.