Why did Microsoft Edge Import all my bookmarks from Chrome without asking?

Anonymous
2022-09-04T20:48:22+00:00

I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?

when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.

Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?

ranting and raving done...

have a great day

Microsoft Edge | Favorites, history, and downloads | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-07T16:30:57+00:00

Hello,

This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-18T19:18:59+00:00

    everyone needs to use the Feedback Hub and let Microsoft know that doing this is outrageous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-15T07:46:45+00:00

    I had the same frustration, but I found a permanent workaround. After turning off the import feature, an update brought it back. So, I have decided never to use Edge again. Even though Firefox is not perfect, I have chosen to use it for personal stuff instead of Edge because at least Firefox will not illegally acquire personal data like Microsoft. This is a massive breach of GPDR data, but unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-01T00:09:23+00:00

    Omg this just happened to me!! What in the world!!!

    This shouldnt even be allowed!!!
    Is there just no privacy on the Microsoft Edge browser?? They just take whatever data u have on your computer and use it it seems.
    Can u imagine the outrage if google browser did this?

    It seems like this is all intentional too and not a bug as its been a while since it was first reported.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-29T01:59:08+00:00

    Happened to me just now. I still have all the bookmarks, but I lost all account session. This is horrible because I have so many accounts that I use for work every day. Any idea how to restore session before the catastrophe? lol thx

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments