Why did Microsoft Edge Import all my bookmarks from Chrome without asking?

Anonymous
2022-09-04T20:48:22+00:00

I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?

when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.

Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?

ranting and raving done...

have a great day

Microsoft Edge | Favorites, history, and downloads | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-07T16:30:57+00:00

Hello,

This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-08T04:22:53+00:00

    Sharing my story to pile on to the others. I do not have a dedicated device for work (it's BYOD), so I have an entirely separate Windows user account just for work, separate from my personal account. I'm not entirely sure why I used MS Edge, but I never bothered to switch the default browser on my (at the time) fresh new Windows account for work. I've been (sort of) happily using this set up for close to a year now.

    I guess there was an update (that I did not know about) and now all my personal bookmarks from Chrome are mushed in with my work bookmarks in Edge. I see people reporting this back in '22, but it has now just happened to me. The task of sorting this out is incredibly daunting. On top of bookmarks, like other users have reported, credentials have been imported as well, and for me, even my personal browser extensions from Chrome were imported (or installed rather).

    I did not know about this auto import setting in Edge, I went to go check it and it is already DISABLED! I opened up Chrome on my work windows account and I'm not even signed in! I can understand this happening maybe if it saw a chrome installation and pulled data from it, but I'm not even signed in, my chrome data is in an entirely different windows user account. I was shocked.

    I would imagine a common use case for multiple windows users is a family sharing a PC, imagine an entire family's bookmarks being mashed together into everyone's browser in their separate accounts. This is just crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-04T02:30:58+00:00

    Hello,

    This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

    But why activate this without consent ? its a violation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-03T19:50:13+00:00

    I just want to leave my testimony here as to how unequivocally enfuriated I was, as this same non consensual abuse happened to me as well. Is unbelievable how this Non Human entities treat us, enforcing NULE respect for our individual rights and free will.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T04:01:17+00:00

    I use Chrome for my general browsing and Edge for college and study. Edge just imported my bookmarks from Chrome randomly, and I lost all my bookmarks for school.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments