Why did Microsoft Edge Import all my bookmarks from Chrome without asking?

Anonymous
2022-09-04T20:48:22+00:00

I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?

when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.

Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?

ranting and raving done...

have a great day

Microsoft Edge | Favorites, history, and downloads | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-07T16:30:57+00:00

Hello,

This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-22T16:25:21+00:00

    Please tell the Edge team this is an egregious abuse and further confirms that Microsoft is now prioritizing gathering user information rather than building products that are so good people would naturally be drawn to use them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-23T15:52:27+00:00

    How to uninstall Microsoft Edge for destroying trust and possibly illegally without permission importing other browsers data?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-28T06:12:06+00:00

    Doesn't work for me. It does not offer an option to turn it off. This is incredibly frustrating. I want to keep access separate for a number of reasons. Copying passwords over increases the chances of an exposure. I've managed to delete most of the copied passwords... I had to go through because there are some I actually use with Edge, and Edge alone. I deleted all the "selected items" that were offered to be copied...except even then, I couldn't delete them all. So I left one item to be copied. Stop doing things for us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T09:52:46+00:00

    Hello,

    This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

    It worked. This was incredibly helpful, thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments