Managing bookmarks, browsing history, and downloads in Edge on Windows 11
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?
when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.
Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?
ranting and raving done...
have a great day
Managing bookmarks, browsing history, and downloads in Edge on Windows 11
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello,
This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.
That sounds like what I experienced. Unraveling the extensions, passwords, bookmarks, etc. was impossible for me; I ended up doing a full system restore from a backup I'd made a week before it happened. I also disabled Windows Update for the maximum period, which was around a month. This unexpected and unwanted import into Edge happened a few months back and it hasn't happened since. I have no idea why it happened, but it would be helpful if Microsoft would enlighten us all; obviously, something is amiss somewhere.
Always make sure you take regular backups. I use a product called Macrium Reflect which has worked well for me for a long time. I purchased the product, but they also offer a free version that allows a full backup.
Good luck.
I just want to leave my testimony here as to how unequivocally enfuriated I was, as this same non consensual abuse happened to me as well. Is unbelievable how this Non Human entities treat us, enforcing NULE respect for our individual rights and free will.