Why did Microsoft Edge Import all my bookmarks from Chrome without asking?

Anonymous
2022-09-04T20:48:22+00:00

I do not use Microsoft Edge. After this mornings snafu with Defender I decided to open Edge to make sure that it was up to date. No it wasn't. So after updating Edge and restarting it, without my permission Microsoft decided to import all my bookmarks and favorites from Chrome?. What is going on at Microsoft?

when you install windows it's the default browser. Then when you go to download Chrome they give you all this **** about how great Edge is. Then unlike before you have to change every default permissions manually to Chrome.

Now they go and Import all my stuff from Chrome WITHOUT ASKING? Then after importing everything you have to go to settings to tell EDGE not to do that....Couldn't this behavior trigger a lawsuit or something like it did in Europe? Ha Ha Behavior...wasn't that their big SNAFU this morning?

ranting and raving done...

have a great day

Microsoft Edge | Favorites, history, and downloads | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-07T16:30:57+00:00

Hello,

This feature can be deactivated in the settings menu. To do this click on the ellipsis(...) top right > Settings > Profiles > Import browser data > Import browser data from Google Chrome on each launch > Turn off.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-12-07T22:43:39+00:00

    Yes I have had the same issue. After an update, it did not request permission to turn on this feature, it just automatically turned it on and imported. Passwords, history, bookmarks, cookies & payment info imported, all without permission, this is a huge security flaw for Microsoft. I understand there's a way to turn this feature off, but the feature was turned ON without my knowledge on an update, the damage is already done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-12-02T15:13:56+00:00

    Yes, this feature can apparently be deactivated, but now that all the bookmarks have been imported I'll have to delete them all. And that sucks, because I had a completely different set of bookmarks saved in Edge from the ones I have in Chrome. This sucks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-12-31T02:19:23+00:00

    This is the third time this has happened to me. And since Chrome is so messed up when it comes to bookmarks (creating multiple copies of bookmarks), this makes the task of fixing this issue so much harder. Not to mention, finding and reorganizing the bookmarks I want!

    I'm really tired of Microsoft making updates that they think are improvements, when they are most definitely not!

    I am not a happy camper!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-01T13:39:24+00:00

    The setting to turn off automatic importing is either unavailable or in a different location. This is a massive flaw, and needs to be fixed. Some of use purposefully keep separate browsers between work and home to maintain separation of data. All of my personal passwords and sites are now on my work browser, so if either of my password managers are breached, I'm vulnerable. Thanks MS! Worst browsers ever made.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments