Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I am in a web page and click on a link, I stay on the tab I was originally in, but a separate new tab opens up with the link.
This never used to happen - you used to click on a link and you went straight to that page. In IE Explorer, it was possible to decide whether links opened in the same or a new page.
I end up with 20-30 tabs all open, and they are so small, I can't tell which is which - it is a real nuisance. Help please?
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have tried all the suggestions listed on this thread, none worked for me.
I have Win10 ver. 20H2, with Microsoft Edge ver. 88.0.705.68
I did however, find a fix for my set up.
The issue was not with the browser but with Bing search as I did not have this problem with Google or Yahoo search engines.
FIX - Once you search something using Microsoft Bing
1. Select the 3 lines on the top right corner of your search page NOT the Edge Browser, then
2. Select 'SafeSearch'
3. Scroll down to 'Results' and uncheck the options as required. I unchecked both for search and results.
Alternatively, you can click on Bing - Settings if this link works for you and proceed with option 3 above unchecking the two boxes.
Hi,
I am a normal user of MS edge. Suddenly, I also faced this issue of new tabs opening on every click. It was not like this earlier.
But now I just discovered a small switch when I typed **'edge opens new tab on every link'**on google. This switch is not available every time! Maybe I had pressed it by mistake sometime, as I am not sure when this switch appears.
I deselected this option, and my problem is solved. I think this may solve your problem also.
You will find this switch saying Open link in new tab
I hope it will help :)
I'm not sure what this is all about. I got an email as follows:
| Funpire has replied to the question How do I stop MS Edge from opening a new tab every time I click on a link that you are following in [Microsoft Community](https://answers.microsoft.com/). |
| --- |
| > <br>> That's because it's the default behavior, as is explained and discussed at length in the threads I gave you. <br>> <br>> I also gave you a way to express your opinion about this to microsoft, sine they won't even see it here where we are mostly volunteers trying to help you. <br>> <br>> After doing everything I could possible do to help you I see that you marked my post unhelpful. May I ask why?<br><br><br>Whose fault is that? No one wants to spend they time they do to fix this. The fact that we have to come to a support forum to figure out what should be a checkbox in settings is absurd.<br><br><br><br>How about you just answer the question so when people google things a year later, we have the answer, instead of being redirected to other threads where this was "discussed at length"<br><br><br><br>I am about to mark this post as unhelpful and put it down as 1 star on feedback. Either you or Microsoft needs to step up and answer questions directly. Not keep sending us on a longer goose chase looking for the answer that at this point you should just know.<br><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br><br><br><br>I don't know what you (and a second person I heard from) are talking about. I don't care what Edge does or does not do when I click on a link. <br><br>If you do what you do on a volunteer basis, I say Bravo! <br><br>Keep it up!<br><br>But leave me out of it, because I don't care either way. |
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
This works regardless If you use your browser with your account ( if you are signed in ) or not
- search for ...something, anything
- to the right, inside of browser window, next to your name and profile picture or next to "Sing in" buttonklick the "three lines"