Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I am in a web page and click on a link, I stay on the tab I was originally in, but a separate new tab opens up with the link.
This never used to happen - you used to click on a link and you went straight to that page. In IE Explorer, it was possible to decide whether links opened in the same or a new page.
I end up with 20-30 tabs all open, and they are so small, I can't tell which is which - it is a real nuisance. Help please?
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have tried all the suggestions listed on this thread, none worked for me.
I have Win10 ver. 20H2, with Microsoft Edge ver. 88.0.705.68
I did however, find a fix for my set up.
The issue was not with the browser but with Bing search as I did not have this problem with Google or Yahoo search engines.
FIX - Once you search something using Microsoft Bing
1. Select the 3 lines on the top right corner of your search page NOT the Edge Browser, then
2. Select 'SafeSearch'
3. Scroll down to 'Results' and uncheck the options as required. I unchecked both for search and results.
Alternatively, you can click on Bing - Settings if this link works for you and proceed with option 3 above unchecking the two boxes.
Hi,
I am a normal user of MS edge. Suddenly, I also faced this issue of new tabs opening on every click. It was not like this earlier.
But now I just discovered a small switch when I typed **'edge opens new tab on every link'**on google. This switch is not available every time! Maybe I had pressed it by mistake sometime, as I am not sure when this switch appears.
I deselected this option, and my problem is solved. I think this may solve your problem also.
You will find this switch saying Open link in new tab
I hope it will help :)
Hi Greg, I can only speak for myself but I marked your response as unhelpful because you didn't answer the question. You provided links to long discussions with a lot of unrelated information.
You'll notice the person that actually provided the solution in a concise response got lots of helpful votes. Consequently my helpful vote went to DhruvPatel028.
Regards, John
Just right-click on a link, then select "Open link in new tab" if available. The link will open in a new tab, but this appears to toggle the preference back to links not opening in new tabs unless you specifically specify it, so subsequent clicks will not open in a new tab unless you again right-click and specify that. Microsoft must have changed something, since I routinely specified opening links in a new tab for years without any problems. MS recently informed users that unused open tabs would be dormant unless reactivated, so I think it may have something to do with that, but, the resulting tiny tabs weren't helpful at all.
Thanks to DhruvPatel028 for this solution.
Thank you, I've spent hours trying to fix this issue...and all it took was for a user to find this little switch. It worked. Thank you so much