How do I stop MS Edge from opening a new tab every time I click on a link

Anonymous
2020-10-24T20:05:39+00:00

When I am in a web page and click on a link, I stay on the tab I was originally in, but a separate new tab opens up with the link.

This never used to happen - you used to click on a link and you went straight to that page.  In IE Explorer, it was possible to decide whether links opened in the same or a new page.

I end up with 20-30 tabs all open, and they are so small, I can't tell which is which - it is a real nuisance.  Help please?

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-02-12T15:55:46+00:00

I have tried all the suggestions listed on this thread, none worked for me.

I have Win10 ver. 20H2, with Microsoft Edge ver. 88.0.705.68
I did however, find a fix for my set up.

The issue was not with the browser but with Bing search as I did not have this problem with Google or Yahoo search engines.

FIX - Once you search something using Microsoft Bing

1. Select the 3 lines on the top right corner of your search page NOT the Edge Browser, then

2. Select 'SafeSearch'

3. Scroll down to 'Results' and uncheck the options as required. I unchecked both for search and results.

Alternatively, you can click on Bing - Settings if this link works for you and proceed with option 3 above unchecking the two boxes.

Image

Image

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-21T08:29:18+00:00

Hi,

I am a normal user of MS edge. Suddenly, I also faced this issue of new tabs opening on every click. It was not like this earlier.

But now I just discovered a small switch when I typed **'edge opens new tab on every link'**on google. This switch is not available every time!  Maybe I had pressed it by mistake sometime, as I am not sure when this switch appears.

I deselected this option, and my problem is solved. I think this may solve your problem also.

You will find this switch saying Open link in new tab

I hope it will help :)

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-19T21:54:19+00:00

    So the question become how do you change the default behavior. Opening a new tab every time you click a link has to be something a developer decided to do without actually seeing that the customers want.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T21:45:21+00:00

    That's because it's the default behavior, as is explained and discussed at length in the threads I gave you.

    I also gave you a way to express your opinion about this to microsoft, sine they won't even see it here where we are mostly volunteers trying to help you.

    After doing everything I could possible do to help you I see that you marked my post unhelpful. May I ask why?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T20:23:07+00:00

    The problem is that everytime I click on a link without holding control the link opens in a new tab instead going in the same opened tab

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments