Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I am in a web page and click on a link, I stay on the tab I was originally in, but a separate new tab opens up with the link.
This never used to happen - you used to click on a link and you went straight to that page. In IE Explorer, it was possible to decide whether links opened in the same or a new page.
I end up with 20-30 tabs all open, and they are so small, I can't tell which is which - it is a real nuisance. Help please?
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have tried all the suggestions listed on this thread, none worked for me.
I have Win10 ver. 20H2, with Microsoft Edge ver. 88.0.705.68
I did however, find a fix for my set up.
The issue was not with the browser but with Bing search as I did not have this problem with Google or Yahoo search engines.
FIX - Once you search something using Microsoft Bing
1. Select the 3 lines on the top right corner of your search page NOT the Edge Browser, then
2. Select 'SafeSearch'
3. Scroll down to 'Results' and uncheck the options as required. I unchecked both for search and results.
Alternatively, you can click on Bing - Settings if this link works for you and proceed with option 3 above unchecking the two boxes.
Hi,
I am a normal user of MS edge. Suddenly, I also faced this issue of new tabs opening on every click. It was not like this earlier.
But now I just discovered a small switch when I typed **'edge opens new tab on every link'**on google. This switch is not available every time! Maybe I had pressed it by mistake sometime, as I am not sure when this switch appears.
I deselected this option, and my problem is solved. I think this may solve your problem also.
You will find this switch saying Open link in new tab
I hope it will help :)
I did what DhruvPatel had recommended earlier in this thread and it worked. Basically you just open browser, search something, like "ABC". When search results come up you'll find a line containing All, Images, Videos, ect. Well right below that line you'll see "Open links in new tab", turn that off and you should be good.
I just dealt with this same problem. This is what worked for me.
Click three dots at top right of browser.
Go to Settings.
Go to "New Tab Page".
DIsable -"Preload the new tab page for a faster experience".
I'm having the same problem as Dragos, which is that I DON'T want my link to open in a new tab. I want it to open in the tab I'm in. I bought my new computer about three months ago, with Windows 10 installed, and it didn't do it then. But in the past couple of weeks it started opening in new tabs, and I don't like it. I want the option of changing the setting back to the way it was. Can you help with that? Thanks.