Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I am in a web page and click on a link, I stay on the tab I was originally in, but a separate new tab opens up with the link.
This never used to happen - you used to click on a link and you went straight to that page. In IE Explorer, it was possible to decide whether links opened in the same or a new page.
I end up with 20-30 tabs all open, and they are so small, I can't tell which is which - it is a real nuisance. Help please?
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have tried all the suggestions listed on this thread, none worked for me.
I have Win10 ver. 20H2, with Microsoft Edge ver. 88.0.705.68
I did however, find a fix for my set up.
The issue was not with the browser but with Bing search as I did not have this problem with Google or Yahoo search engines.
FIX - Once you search something using Microsoft Bing
1. Select the 3 lines on the top right corner of your search page NOT the Edge Browser, then
2. Select 'SafeSearch'
3. Scroll down to 'Results' and uncheck the options as required. I unchecked both for search and results.
Alternatively, you can click on Bing - Settings if this link works for you and proceed with option 3 above unchecking the two boxes.
Hi,
I am a normal user of MS edge. Suddenly, I also faced this issue of new tabs opening on every click. It was not like this earlier.
But now I just discovered a small switch when I typed **'edge opens new tab on every link'**on google. This switch is not available every time! Maybe I had pressed it by mistake sometime, as I am not sure when this switch appears.
I deselected this option, and my problem is solved. I think this may solve your problem also.
You will find this switch saying Open link in new tab
I hope it will help :)
Thanks, WolfLake.
I'm frustrated by the fact that so many people who give advice, including how-to videos, don't use the exact same terminology that websites, browsers, etc, do, so that when they say go to ___, that word isn't there, and I'm still in the dark.
Please tell me the steps that will take me to "turn off open new links"
Yes this has been very annoying for me. I have spend days off and on trying to resolve this.
I tried many of the suggestions from many web sites None worked. Its particularly frustrating when the advice given from very well intelligent technician's, says for example go to pop ups and turn this on. Well in the Settings menu there is NO pop ups listed, its under a different heading. I assume this is because MS has changed where it is. I find it frustrating the way the menus keep changing in each version of software, eg win7 to 10. I still struggle every time I want to find the control panel or various other menus in Win10. In either case blocking pop ups doesn't stop this problem. I tried deleting all my settings and a variety of other things, none worked. I would have 20 or 30 tabs open, it was confusing.
Anyway the advice given here , turn off open new links which is on the web page not in settings worked.
I dont understand browsers etc. or why they would do this, have a setting that is not in settings but there you are. One person said well chrome does the same thing. But I never found this?
Thanks to the person who resolved this. I hope they change the default settings.
I did that, but no change. He did say, however, that the "Open links in new tab" option doesn't always appear. I think I'll switch back to Chrome for a while. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep trying it when using Edge