Restore Previous open tabs after Windows Update

Anonymous
2021-03-22T18:16:18+00:00

An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium.  I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work.  I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost.  You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.

Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?

[Original Title: Edge Chromium]

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-30T21:01:19+00:00

    Thank you

    I did not find that particular verbage in Settings. However, I previous found a "start up" list of options in Settings and chose "open tabs from previous session" under "When Edge starts".

    I haven't had an update yet to test and see if this works.

    I hope so

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-01T00:20:11+00:00

    I had a similar problem (just restarting Edge since I disabled Win10 from auto-updating & restarting). And for me selecting that "reopen closed tabs" just opened the exact same tabs I JUST closed (not from past session/s) over & over (no help/use). And so I looked at a bunch of other/similar questions/problems with the tabs recently (in 2020 & 2021). One of the replies I saw (from similar problem in 2020) said some instructions to go to "settings" back then... I looked to see the difference of changes & if a similar fix may be in the Settings... it was for me:

    Click on the .... up at the browser, open/click on settings (make sure the browser is open wide enough if possible), click/tap on the "Start home & new tabs" on the left. It should say "When Edge starts" at top & have options of "Open the new tab page" "Open tabs from the previous session" and "Open these pages:" to choose from. For me it wasn't the last session but the selected pages/tabs.

    Better than nothing like at first, but not as many options to save/restore history/tabs as some other browsers let you (1 lets you choose at least 1 restore point/date like with.... Windows). If I really needed to restore Edge tabs different from those or from longer before then I would search if any restore apps (that work with edge) might have been developed yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-06T14:33:25+00:00

    It now works! Hope it stays working. Thanks for your expert help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-07T14:39:40+00:00

    When I'd close down Edge &/or restart, there used to be a box that came up when I'd open Edge again, asking if I wanted to restore my last session. I loved that & used it ALL the time. But now its gone. The past several days or so, that box is not coming up asking if I want to restore my last session. I'd like to know why? Or where is it? Or how do I get it back?

    I can't remember all of the tabs I had open or the sites for them after restarting. So now all of my work I had(all the tabs I had open) are now gone. & I have no idea how to get them back since the restore box isn't showing now. I'm NOT happy! Was there an update that removed this restore box, moved it or did something else with it? I'd like for them to put it back please!!!

    Now I have NO idea what tabs I had open, what they were or where they are now. Thanks A LOT!!!... joking!

    Please please please put the restore last session box back, PLEASE!!! Or at least let me know where it is or how to access it again. PLEASE!!!!!!

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-09T14:32:19+00:00

    It's working now! Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments