Restore Previous open tabs after Windows Update

Anonymous
2021-03-22T18:16:18+00:00

An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium.  I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work.  I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost.  You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.

Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?

[Original Title: Edge Chromium]

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-07T21:34:39+00:00

    @iFiredog.

    As described by posters trying to solve their "restore tab-sets from a previous browser session) in this thread. I thought that was clear...,

    Specifically in posts responding to the suggestion that the setting is the solution that say (paraphrased) "it doesn't work, for them."

    Certainly, it doesn't work in my EDGE which I use over Chrome. It's design is faulty as it doesn't cover the common use-case of multiple browser sessions across 1, 2, 3 and more monitors running cloud-based apps, searches, browsing sites, ..., you know, the stuff typically done in a browser in 2021.

    This is "the one" drawback I see in using EDGE. I still use it - and pray that someone takes this issue seriously and does a redesign. All one has to do is look at what Chrome has done..., it's very clear how "restore tab-sets in a browser window after shut down or reboot or browser close" should work to support the way people work on their multi-screen and multi-browser environments.

    That's about all I can help you with. pretty much repeating myself..., and the previous posts in this thread.

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-08T07:21:49+00:00

    Hello, thanks for the info. I wonder if this process will also restore Edge History and each tabs previous URL (accessed with clicking back arrow repeatedly). And not just restore the currently opened URL for each tab? Also, does it fully restore if there are more than one Edge window of tabs?

    My plan is to fresh install Win10 and then import the previous Win10 install's Edge instance... Do you follow my question/goal?

    Does anyone see my post or am I shadowbanned?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-08T08:22:09+00:00

    Does anyone see my post or am I shadowbanned?

    Sorry, yes, I did miss your post. That's why it's always best to start a new thread (Create a new question or start a discussion) rather than tacking new questions on to old threads.

    It sounds as if you simply need to copy the Edge User Data folder*, then put it back in the new Windows installation replacing the one that will probably have come along with Edge. Do this before launching Edge and going through the FRE, and you should retain all the session data.

    *

    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-08T08:33:11+00:00

    Will this include the previous URLs stored when you click the back button? The ones you see by clicking the right mouse button on the back arrow?

    Does anyone see my post or am I shadowbanned?

    Sorry, yes, I did miss your post. That's why it's always best to start a new thread (Create a new question or start a discussion) rather than tacking new questions on to old threads.

    It sounds as if you simply need to copy the Edge User Data folder*, then put it back in the new Windows installation replacing the one that will probably have come along with Edge. Do this before launching Edge and going through the FRE, and you should retain all the session data.

    *

    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-08-08T08:35:18+00:00

    Certainly, it doesn't work in my EDGE

    Sorry to labour the point, but I asked a specific question.

    If you have Open tabs from the previous session enabled, and you then Close Edge using the menu command, which page(s) open when you re-launch Edge?

    If you want to make suggestions to the Edge development team, this forum is not the place to do it. Use the Send feedback option (Alt-Shift-i) to make your views known. All feedback is seen and acted on as appropriate.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments