Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium. I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work. I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost. You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.
Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?
[Original Title: Edge Chromium]
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Ah: you mean, like an opportunity for a fresh start, unburdened by baggage from the past? You may be onto something there!
... as soon as I opened Edge to point it to the recovery file, the promising looking Tabs files in my Sessions folder were immediately destroyed ...
I'm so sorry I missed a step in the instructions, precisely to avoid the event you experienced. I'll reproduce them here with the missing bits, in case anyone stumbles over this thread in the future. These instructions are for the Default profile; change the path as appropriate for other profiles, e.g. Profile 1.
| <ol style="margin-left: 40px; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)"><li><p>Close down all Edge instances.</p></li><li><p>Copy this path:<br><strong>%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default</strong></p></li><li><p>Open File Explorer (Winkey + E), paste into the address bar and press <em>Enter</em>.</p></li><li><p>Open the folder called <em>Sessions</em>. Each file in that folder contains details of the current and at least one previous session.</p><ol style="margin-left: 40px"><li><p>If you see a file called <em>Tabs_{long number}</em> whose modified date corresponds to the session you lost, you're in luck. Copy the file to a safe place (e.g. your desktop). </p></li><li><p>If you don't see any file from the lost session, right-click on the <em>Sessions </em>folder and select <em>Restore previous version</em>. If you see a previous version with a likely-looking date, click <em>Restore > Restore to </em>and choose a folder to restore to, e.g. on your desktop. </p></li></ol></li><li><p>If you found a likely-looking <em>Tabs_... </em>file,</p><ol style="margin-left: 40px"><li><p>Open Edge and navigate to <a href="http://lsauer.net/chrome-session-restore/#.YFnaehCnxEY" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer nofollow">Chrome Session Restore / Recovery of corrupted Session files (lsauer.net)</a></p></li><li><p>Follow the instructions on the page to inject the file you saved at (4) above either by drag-and-drop or by using the <em>Choose files </em>box.</p></li><li><p>The small arrow ⏷ should reveal the tabs from the session concerned. Each entry is a link to the page, so you can open the ones you want in the current Edge session.</p></li></ol><p style="color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)"></p></li></ol> |
|---|
Thanks for the additional info! Hope it's helpful on down the line.
Hello, thanks for the info. I wonder if this process will also restore Edge History and each tabs previous URL (accessed with clicking back arrow repeatedly). And not just restore the currently opened URL for each tab? Also, does it fully restore if there are more than one Edge window of tabs?
My plan is to fresh install Win10 and then import the previous Win10 install's Edge instance... Do you follow my question/goal?
Hi, did you see my questions about your method?