Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium. I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work. I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost. You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.
Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?
[Original Title: Edge Chromium]
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
OK, sorry, I was only reacting to the advisor's unhelpful suggestion. If you're looking for a way to find out which tabs were opened in the session that was lost during the update, I'm afraid it's not straightforward and may not be possible. However, there is an online tool that may help.
First, you have to find the file that Edge uses to store details of open tabs in a particular session. Each profile has its own set of files, so if you only have one profile, its data are stored in a folder called Default. You can open this folder thus:
Good luck!
Hello,
My name is Ben, and I'm with Microsoft Edge as Community Manager. I saw this thread and wanted to check in on this issue, in order to see if I could help.
If I understand your concern, you are frustrated you lost your previous tabs and, while you know how to save tabs in the future, you wished for a method of recovering a large number of lost tabs. Is that correct? If that's the case, my first thought is to see if the History has them. This issue has happened to me before. When I go to the "..." in the top right corner, click on History, it can show individual websites. If a large number of tabs were closed all at once, recently, one of the top options should have an icon that looks like a stack of squares. Clicking on that will restore all lost tabs.
If, however, the history does not have this tab-block, then the issue may not be easily restored. Should that be the case, I sincerely apologize. In either situation, I am forwarding this report to the team so they can look into other ways to prevent data loss in the future. If you have any other questions, or if this doesn't speak to the matter, please let me know.
Thank you, and have a great day!
-Ben
This was an excellent tip, except that as soon as I opened Edge to point it to the recovery file, the promising looking Tabs files in my Sessions folder were immediately destroyed (overwritten) by the new Edge session.
I know I should use Collections, but I thought my session would be restored post-update. I often leave several tabs open (opened over a span of days, so History is not much help) as a reminder of work that's in-progress. Sucks when an update wipes them out (and yes, I checked for the tab-block at the top of History / Recently closed).
An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium.
This infuriating behaviour has allegedly been fixed. The release notes for Dev channel update to 92.0.891.1 include this passage:
While fixes like this are sometimes ported to all channels (Canary, Dev, Beta and Stable), many of them have to go through the testing phases before they reach the Stable version. You may have to wait a few weeks to enjoy it.
i think this is by design - now when ever the New Edge crashes 2 or 3 times per week, it loses all your open tabs, history and settings. This allows you to start all over from fresh without having to worry about whatever you were doing before.
Actually putting in a working session manager into Edge like all other browsers have would be too much work and make it even more unstable.