Restore Previous open tabs after Windows Update

Anonymous
2021-03-22T18:16:18+00:00

An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium.  I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work.  I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost.  You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.

Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?

[Original Title: Edge Chromium]

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-08T07:21:49+00:00

    Hello, thanks for the info. I wonder if this process will also restore Edge History and each tabs previous URL (accessed with clicking back arrow repeatedly). And not just restore the currently opened URL for each tab? Also, does it fully restore if there are more than one Edge window of tabs?

    My plan is to fresh install Win10 and then import the previous Win10 install's Edge instance... Do you follow my question/goal?

    Does anyone see my post or am I shadowbanned?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-07T21:34:39+00:00

    @iFiredog.

    As described by posters trying to solve their "restore tab-sets from a previous browser session) in this thread. I thought that was clear...,

    Specifically in posts responding to the suggestion that the setting is the solution that say (paraphrased) "it doesn't work, for them."

    Certainly, it doesn't work in my EDGE which I use over Chrome. It's design is faulty as it doesn't cover the common use-case of multiple browser sessions across 1, 2, 3 and more monitors running cloud-based apps, searches, browsing sites, ..., you know, the stuff typically done in a browser in 2021.

    This is "the one" drawback I see in using EDGE. I still use it - and pray that someone takes this issue seriously and does a redesign. All one has to do is look at what Chrome has done..., it's very clear how "restore tab-sets in a browser window after shut down or reboot or browser close" should work to support the way people work on their multi-screen and multi-browser environments.

    That's about all I can help you with. pretty much repeating myself..., and the previous posts in this thread.

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-07T20:31:15+00:00

    that "feature" doesn't work as described,

    As described where? I've had that setting active in at least one edition of Edge since the beginning, and it's always done just what I expected it to do. Why do you say that it's broken? Which page(s) do you see when you launch the browser?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-07T16:32:48+00:00

    @iFiredog

    Two things...

    1. Yes, that is what I, and other posters before me, have said..., that "feature" doesn't work as described, and how far it falls short is impossible to know, since it is broken.

    AND

    1. Even though we can't see the feature work properly, it's clear that feature isn't designed correctly to meet the most simplest user need for flexibility and choice.

    Here's why (and you could see for yourself by just trying it out...)

    a. That feature IF IT WORKED would force ALL or just THE LAST window to open with tabs..., Since the feature doesn't work, we don't know what assumption (ALL or THE LAST) window(s) it would apply that setting to.

    b. Why is EDGE making that assumption? Beats me, but it will be the wrong assumption over 50% of the time.

    c. Like most of us, we have multiple browser windows open across multiple (I have three) monitors/screens. So, the probability it would get the assumption wrong is very high. (SW Engineers typically have multiple monitors..., how could they not have observed this themselves in designing this, coding it, and testing it?)

    Please examine how the Chrome feature works. It is designed for MAXimum flexibility and gives the user their choice at start-up, the user CAN PICK AND CHOOSE what window and tab configuration they want to reload. AND after it opens that config, it removes that config from the HISTORY list, as it is saving the NEW set of tabs for the opened browser window in it's stack for the next reboot or window close event..., and if you go back to HISTORY, only the remaining tab-sets are available for restoring in a new Chrome window.

    The best advice I can give is to tell someone in SW Engineering on the EDGE team, to go try this out on Chrome..., it is elegant, and meets the needs for Browser Window restore options - with tab-sets.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-08-07T15:36:59+00:00

    ... the issue is that there's no way to restore previous tabs in one click, after a reboot. OR AFTER ANY CLOSE of a Browser window -- AND it is a critical need to do so for MULTIPLE Edge windows each with their own set of TAB configurations.

    This is exactly what the start-up option Open tabs from the previous session is designed to do. Each window may be regarded as a separate session, so to be sure to capture them all, use ⋯ (Settings and more) > Close Microsoft Edge rather than using the window control ✕. I've got used to using the keyboard shortcut Alt-F C to end the session.

    Are you saying that this isn't working for you? Note that the option changed its name with v.92 from Continue where you left off.

    [Complaining that Edge doesn't behave in the same way as other browsers isn't really helpful. Each browser has its idiosyncrasies, and we just have to learn to live with them.]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments