Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium. I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work. I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost. You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.
Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?
[Original Title: Edge Chromium]
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
@iFiredog,
Humoring your belaboring,... as I already answered your question, the answer to your repeated question, again, remains the same as previously stated. No, this does not work on a Windows 10 and Edge browser, with all the latest updates applied.
Also stated in response to your repeated queries - considering the obvious questions and clear limitations of the setting's stated design (understood by anyone doing a simple review of the settings page), this is NOT the design people need, in the very common case of multiple browser session/windows. Why? the assumption of the design won't know which of the open windows to restore, upon restart/reboot after a automatic shut-down from a windows update, or other EDGE browser window close event. But, since it doesn't work, no one can actually test it reliably.
[FWIW, I have tested this on the latest unreleased developer version of EDGE, and, well, it's broken there too.]
Please don't assume that I have not already reported this design flaw to the EDGE dev team. I'm well plugged in there.
That's it for me. Carry on.
Certainly, it doesn't work in my EDGE
Sorry to labour the point, but I asked a specific question.
If you have Open tabs from the previous session enabled, and you then Close Edge using the menu command, which page(s) open when you re-launch Edge?
If you want to make suggestions to the Edge development team, this forum is not the place to do it. Use the Send feedback option (Alt-Shift-i) to make your views known. All feedback is seen and acted on as appropriate.
Will this include the previous URLs stored when you click the back button? The ones you see by clicking the right mouse button on the back arrow?
Does anyone see my post or am I shadowbanned?
Sorry, yes, I did miss your post. That's why it's always best to start a new thread (Create a new question or start a discussion) rather than tacking new questions on to old threads.
It sounds as if you simply need to copy the Edge User Data folder*, then put it back in the new Windows installation replacing the one that will probably have come along with Edge. Do this before launching Edge and going through the FRE, and you should retain all the session data.
*
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data
Does anyone see my post or am I shadowbanned?
Sorry, yes, I did miss your post. That's why it's always best to start a new thread (Create a new question or start a discussion) rather than tacking new questions on to old threads.
It sounds as if you simply need to copy the Edge User Data folder*, then put it back in the new Windows installation replacing the one that will probably have come along with Edge. Do this before launching Edge and going through the FRE, and you should retain all the session data.
*
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data