How do I change the language in "New Tab" from Chinese to English?

Anonymous
2020-02-25T14:46:51+00:00

Whenever I opened a new tab, this is what I see. When I enter go into the MSN website, it showed eng-sg at the URL. 

I do not know how to change the display language of the new tab to English. Appreciate any help. Thanks much. 

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-17T22:06:59+00:00

    I had the same problem and it started after I set my VPN to Japan. I took a guess on the settings and got lucky.

    Select the fifth option.

    Click on the drop down and select your language.

    Page will refresh and be in your preferred language.

    Hope that works out for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-02T14:28:05+00:00

    I seem to have fixed this on my Edge. I disabled "Preload the new tab page for a faster experience" and the new tab loads in English and just as fast as when the setting is enabled. When I turn it back on, the new tab loads in Chinese (with a cute little link to the Chinese Ministry of Internet, Industry, and Technology, also known as MIIT).

    "Preload the new tab page for a faster experience" is located under Settings - Start, home, and new tabs - New tab page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-22T12:10:16+00:00

    This was the first thing I did when the problem began. Being in china, even when using a VPN, edge reverts back to Chinese upon every restart. Appears MS capitulated in order to allow edge broad use here. Have heard from over 100 others in the same irreversible situation. Many thanks to MS for selling out. Least they could have done from the beginning was simply tell the truth.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T00:49:15+00:00

    This problem originated with an Edge update going back to last fall (2020).

    The solution you suggest was one of the first approaches we took (and tried over and again) It was/is ineffective. It may indeed work from other countries, but not the PRC - and Microsoft knows this.

    It appears to be some sort of concession MS has made to the regime, and is silent on resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-06T02:43:36+00:00

    My language was locked in new tab too. I tried logout the profile. And it worked. But when I logged in, it failed again. Finally I solved it by checking "Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended)" from Setting => Cookies and sites Permissions => Cookies and sites data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments