Builds 19593 to 20226 User Profile Logon Issue - Workaround Included

Anonymous
2020-10-06T04:41:28+00:00

If you'd like to share a link to this post, we've created a short URL to assist:https://aka.ms/20226profile

*Edit*  This scenario could impact users in the Dev Channel (only) on builds 19593 through 20226.  The same workaround applies to any user in this build range in the Dev Channel who experiences this scenario.

Hello Windows Insiders,

After the launch of build 20226 to the Dev channel, a small number of users have reported not being able to log into their user profile(s) as expected.  This post covers this scenario, including a workaround for those affected who see the following message:

Note: this workaround ONLY applies to builds 19593 through 20226 on the Dev channel.  It does not apply to Retail users, or users in the Beta or Release Preview Channels..

Note:  the included steps assume your Windows installation is defaulted to the C: drive.  If you have installed Windows on a different drive letter, please replace c: with the proper drive letter for your installation.

To bypass this issue, please complete the following steps:

If your account is an Administrator account on the affected device:

  1. When you see the “We can’t sign into your account” dialogue, click the Close button.
  2. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  3. Enter and submit the following commands one line at a time:
    • cd c:\users%username%
    • takeown /F ntuser.dat*
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /reset
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /setowner "SYSTEM"
  4. Sign out.
  5. You will stop seeing the above dialog on your next sign-in.

If your account is NOT an Administrator account on the affected device:

  1. When you see the “We can’t sign into your account” dialogue, click the Close button.
  2. Open a standard Command Prompt window.
  3. Enter the following command:
    • Echo %username%
    • (Make note of the returned username, you will use it in step 6)
  4. Close the standard Command Prompt window.
  5. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  6. Enter and submit the following commands one line at a time:
    • cd c:\users\username
    • takeown /F ntuser.dat*
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /reset
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /setowner "SYSTEM"
  7. Sign out
  8. You will stop seeing the above dialog on your next sign-in

If these steps don’t resolve the issue for you on build 20226, you may also complete a rollback to your previous build to bypass.  You may then reinstall build 20226 and you will not encounter the issue a second time.

We’ve identified the cause of the bug and a fix is under development thanks to the swift feedback and insights from the Windows Insider community.

Thank you and keep the feedback coming!

  • The Windows Insider Team
Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Security, privacy, and accounts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T16:29:18+00:00

    .If these steps don’t resolve the issue for you on build 20226, you may also complete a rollback to your previous build to bypass.  You may then reinstall build 20226 and you will not encounter the issue a second time.

    I used the rollback method when I encountered this a few days ago (before seeing this post).  I then reinstalled 20226 and ran into this same issue again today

    This time, I used the CLI instructions, so we'll see if that works.  I just wanted to highlight that the rollback and reinstall of 20226 does NOT resolve the issue for good.

    I'm not sure what happened on your machine, but that shouldn't have happened.  The way the bug represented any re-install of 20226 would have prevented it from recurring.

    Glad you're fixed up though!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T16:27:37+00:00

    If you have a copy of the text still, please share it!  I didn't hit it on any of my machines!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T07:06:43+00:00

    Hi. I'm having the same problem with '26'. Tried the work around several times both ways and while I don't get the error msg the profile was wacked and reset. So I'm reseting to the previous build and going to download '3x'. just hope the old profile and connections come back!

    thx for the fix Jason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T06:31:39+00:00

    Hi I used system restore to gain control again.  How come that wasnt offered as a solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T03:06:24+00:00

    Thanks a lot Jason for giving us the commands. I had put it back to the previous build by accessing the settings. All this happened when I had to force restart the computer due to it hanging for almost an hour.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments